Qualifying wrapped up Friday for the Grand Prix of Indianapolis Verizon IndyCar Series event on the 2.439 mile(s) Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course. Young Sebastian Saavedra sits on the pole. Here are results, with qualifying position, car number in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, time and speed in parentheses:
1. (17) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Chevy, 01:23.8822 (104.675)
2. (98) Jack Hawksworth, Dallara-Honda, 01:24.0788 (104.431)
3. (28) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Honda, 01:24.8882 (103.435)
4. (77) Simon Pagenaud, Dallara-Honda, 01:25.2881 (102.950)
5. (12) Will Power, Dallara-Chevy, 01:25.5216 (102.669)
6. (9) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Chevy, 01:25.6548 (102.509)
7. (11) Sebastien Bourdais, Dallara-Chevy, 01:24.5187 (103.887)
8. (2) Juan Pablo Montoya, Dallara-Chevy, 01:24.6209 (103.762)
9. (10) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Chevy, 01:24.7099 (103.653)
10. (3) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Chevy, 01:24.8839 (103.440)
11. (27) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Honda, 01:25.1318 (103.139)
12. (15) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 01:25.4748 (102.725)
13. (25) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.2488 (124.990)
14. (8) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Chevy, 01:10.2261 (125.030)
15. (67) Josef Newgarden, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.3601 (124.792)
16. (14) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.2804 (124.934)
17. (18) Carlos Huertas, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.4264 (124.675)
18. (19) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.4141 (124.697)
19. (34) Carlos Munoz, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.5097 (124.528)
20. (41) Martin Plowman, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.4591 (124.617)
21. (26) Franck Montagny, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.5571 (124.444)
22. (16) Oriol Servia, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.5996 (124.369)
23. (83) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Chevy, 01:10.6413 (124.296)
24. (20) Mike Conway, Dallara-Chevy, 01:10.6535 (124.274)
25. (7) Mikhail Aleshin, Dallara-Honda, 01:11.2704 (123.198)
Now you can pass time at work looking at Earth from space. Last week the International Space Station started streaming footage from 4 cameras on the outside of the space station, all pointed at Earth. The steam goes blank every once in awhile to either switch cameras or because of interference. Watching it a bit today, I found there was a lot of dust on the lens or the housing of them. There’s a lot of light refracting back. Someone should be responsible for going out and cleaning those off every few days.
Have you ever watched a movie and wondered what single frame could perfectly sum it up? Geoff Todd did and he turned the idea into at Twitter page called One Perfect Shot. He’s got Sissy Spacek standing in the burning school gym as the picture for Carrie, Mia Farrow’s reflection in the toaster for Rosemary’s Baby, Ghostbusters, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly…he’s got a bunch of movies listed except for Movie 43. The picture that would best describe it would be testing of an atomic bomb in the New Mexico desert, but that wasn’t in the movie.
Sit in your seat and shut up. That’s what flying is coming to. Frontier Airlines will start charging extra for carry-on bags. Spirit Airlines already does. They claim this will be offset by lower airfares. The cost? $20 to $50 depending if you want it under your seat or overhead. You’ll still be able to board with your dignity for free, right, or was that confiscated by the TSA?
Usually when high school kids hold press conferences it’s to announce where they’re signing a scholarship to play football, basketball…it’s always sports related. Not for Kwasi Enin. He held a press conference at his Long Island, New York, high school to announce he’s taking his academic talents to Yale. The kid’s smart and was the talk of the school after being accepted, not just at Duke which is spectacular, but also all eight Ivy League colleges (Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Princeton University, University of Pennsylvania, and Yale University). He says he picked Yale because of its music programs and the financial aid package. Much different than my criteria when I chose to go to Ball State… important things like how closely bars checked the validity of ID’s and what was the male-to-female ratio of students.
Two-time NCAA 5000 meter champion James “The Beast” Nielson has apparently become the first person to break the five-minute barrier in the Beer Mile. For those not familiar with the rules, at the end of laps 1, 2, and 3 the runner has to down a beer. James Nielson claims to have broken the ‘world record’ for the event finishing in 4 minutes 57 seconds. A video is making the rounds. He said he trained for a year before his world record attempt. I wonder what the record is for drinking beers while watching him run the beer mile? Maybe that’s a record I could go for!
If you’re using the browser with the blue “e” icon, stop. The Department of Homeland Security says Internet Explorer has a bug in it that will cause all kinds of security problems especially if your office is still running Windows XP. Using Explorer alone is bad enough, but since Microsoft stopped supporting XP it’s even worse on those computers. At least you’ll have an excuse for that next charge on the Visa you forgot to tell your spouse about.
Weddings are not just expensive to throw, but go to. According to a survey by American Express, this year’s cost of showing up for a wedding will cost a guest about $539 and a member of the wedding party $577, each is 75% more than in 2012. The major buck busters are jewelry, clothes, and babysitting or pet sitting. And then there’s the wedding gift. The average cost for a gift is $97 for a friend and $144 for a family member. What I like to do to a couple is go to their house like a year later and ask them to see what you bought them. Then watch as the look of sheer terror comes over both their faces!
If you ever thought the mall needed to have fast and slow lanes, you’re wish may come true. A 10-year-old girl who was tired of being stuck behind slow walkers at a British mall wrote them a letter and asked them to divide the halls into “fast” and “slow” lanes, and they have. Of course, just like the roads in England, they appear to be on the ‘wrong’ side to us. What they also need is a parking area outside Victoria’s Secret for all the guys who don’t want to go in with their wives or girlfriends.