It was a joke. There’s no push to bring Father’s Day to an end. On Friday the hashtag #EndFathersDay went viral on Twitter. It was the doings of 4chan, a site that’s the “rude, raunchy underbelly of the Internet”. They started it saying it was a holiday celebrating misogyny, demanding appreciation and gifts for doing what a father should be doing anyway. A lot of people took it seriously. But you have to wonder how many dad’s thought it was a good idea after opening their gift?
If you’re getting engaged or married go to Charleston, SC because Bill Murray could end up crashing your party. He must be there shooting a movie, but he’s getting out quite a bit. A few weeks ago he crashed a bachelor party at a restaurant and now he’s popped up in a couple’s engagement pictures. The happy couple was out with their photographer taking pictures and they were laughing uncontrollably at one point and when the photographer turned around there was Bill with his shirt pulled up, slapping his belly. That’s when they asked him to hop in a few pictures, which he did. It seems like everyone’s out to one-up people when it comes to proposals and weddings…how’d you like to be friends with this couple?
When you speak, if you pack your sentences with “you know,” “I mean,” and “like” you aren’t being ditzy, you’re being conscientious. A new study (in the Journal of Language and Social Psychology) says “filler words” tend to be used by people who are more thoughtful . They’re using the words to imply rephrase what they’re trying to say in an effort to ‘soften the blow.’ If you’re afraid of how someone will take what you’re going to say, packing 20 likes into it will defiantly make whatever it is you’re going to say a lot less painful to hear than it was listening to you try and get to the point.
At some point you have to stop calling dad every time something breaks around the house. And based on this survey, that point is…when you’re well into middle age. A new survey found the average age when people finally stop leaning on their dads to help fix stuff is 41. Men are just about as likely to rely on their dads as women. 70% of men say they still call their dads for help versus 75% of women. The difference is they way guys ask. With women it’s “Dad, I need help with…” When a guy asks it starts “I was thinking you could come over and we could work on laying the floor.” Translation: I don’t know what I’m doing and you’re my last hope before…I read directions.
1. “My phone was on silent so I didn’t know you called.”
2. “Sorry, I don’t have any change on me.”
3. “I don’t care what people think of me.”
4. Whatever your height is . . . adding at least an inch.
5. “I’m fine” . . . whether you’re happy, sad, or anything in between.
6. “I’m on the way.”
7. “This meal was delicious.”
8. “I’ll let you know if I can make it . . . I think I might already have something that night.”
I feel like Starbucks is expensive enough without people figuring out ways to make it more expensive. Andrew Chifari in Dallas just broke the record for the most expensive Starbucks drink. He managed to get a single drink that cost $54.75, beating the old record by about $7…and unlike those before him, he didn’t gimmick it to make it more expensive. He kept it simple…he ordered a regular vanilla bean frappuccino and added 60 extra shots of espresso. It ended up filling a 128-ounce glass (that’s a gallon). Then he also set another record after finishing it… fastest reading of War and Peace.
Qualifying wrapped up Friday for the Grand Prix of Indianapolis Verizon IndyCar Series event on the 2.439 mile(s) Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course. Young Sebastian Saavedra sits on the pole. Here are results, with qualifying position, car number in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, time and speed in parentheses:
1. (17) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Chevy, 01:23.8822 (104.675)
2. (98) Jack Hawksworth, Dallara-Honda, 01:24.0788 (104.431)
3. (28) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Honda, 01:24.8882 (103.435)
4. (77) Simon Pagenaud, Dallara-Honda, 01:25.2881 (102.950)
5. (12) Will Power, Dallara-Chevy, 01:25.5216 (102.669)
6. (9) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Chevy, 01:25.6548 (102.509)
7. (11) Sebastien Bourdais, Dallara-Chevy, 01:24.5187 (103.887)
8. (2) Juan Pablo Montoya, Dallara-Chevy, 01:24.6209 (103.762)
9. (10) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Chevy, 01:24.7099 (103.653)
10. (3) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Chevy, 01:24.8839 (103.440)
11. (27) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Honda, 01:25.1318 (103.139)
12. (15) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 01:25.4748 (102.725)
13. (25) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.2488 (124.990)
14. (8) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Chevy, 01:10.2261 (125.030)
15. (67) Josef Newgarden, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.3601 (124.792)
16. (14) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.2804 (124.934)
17. (18) Carlos Huertas, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.4264 (124.675)
18. (19) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.4141 (124.697)
19. (34) Carlos Munoz, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.5097 (124.528)
20. (41) Martin Plowman, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.4591 (124.617)
21. (26) Franck Montagny, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.5571 (124.444)
22. (16) Oriol Servia, Dallara-Honda, 01:10.5996 (124.369)
23. (83) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Chevy, 01:10.6413 (124.296)
24. (20) Mike Conway, Dallara-Chevy, 01:10.6535 (124.274)
25. (7) Mikhail Aleshin, Dallara-Honda, 01:11.2704 (123.198)
Now you can pass time at work looking at Earth from space. Last week the International Space Station started streaming footage from 4 cameras on the outside of the space station, all pointed at Earth. The steam goes blank every once in awhile to either switch cameras or because of interference. Watching it a bit today, I found there was a lot of dust on the lens or the housing of them. There’s a lot of light refracting back. Someone should be responsible for going out and cleaning those off every few days.
Have you ever watched a movie and wondered what single frame could perfectly sum it up? Geoff Todd did and he turned the idea into at Twitter page called One Perfect Shot. He’s got Sissy Spacek standing in the burning school gym as the picture for Carrie, Mia Farrow’s reflection in the toaster for Rosemary’s Baby, Ghostbusters, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly…he’s got a bunch of movies listed except for Movie 43. The picture that would best describe it would be testing of an atomic bomb in the New Mexico desert, but that wasn’t in the movie.