Happy I-Step Week Everyone!
I know- Teacher or Student, this is not your favorite time of the year. I think the only thing I remember enjoying at I Step time when I was growing up was the time that we got to eat “healthy snacks” during test breaks AT OUR DESKS (#bigdeal). To this day I think of standardized testing while snacking on Ritz Bits Cheese sandwiches and green grapes…
Anyways- several of my friends on Facebook are Teachers and one of them found a sweet survival guide on how to pass the time while your classroom kiddos are trying to figure out in what world is a Baloo a Bear and Yonkers is a Young Man.
What I didn’t realize was how painful this week is for teachers as well as students. One would think that sitting there watching students take tests and reading a script of instructions would be nothing, but according to this blog, teachers can’t have books, ipads, phones, magazines…can’t catch up on grading papers or other work, and they HAVE to be walking around watching the students. Ick. I’ll stick to my desk job thank you.
I’ll share my favorite activities below, but the full post you can find here.
- walking down the aisle to marry your favorite celebrity and all the students are wedding guests
- on the red carpet in the most awesome dress/tux of your LIFE and all the students are paparazzi
- walking the plank on a ship and all of the students are pirates
- walking in a cemetery and all the students are ghosts
- scuba-walking on the bottom of the ocean floor and all your students are sea creatures
- a flight attendant and the students are passengers on the “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet” Twilight Zone episode
SB: I wonder if my teachers ever did this?
- Abs: I read somewhere that one of the most effective ab workouts is simply exhaling all of your air, then tensing up your ab muscles as hard as you can.
- Legs: Put ankle weights on during a break of at the beginning of the day, and do calf-raises when you get to the back of the room (students might get distracted and/or you might earn the nickname Twinkle Toes if they see you doing them)
- Arms: Flex your bicep as hard as you can for various increments of time
SB: These would work for sitting at your desk too!